Friday, December 4, 2009

Interview with Belgian Pearls' Greet Lefèvre




When I stumbled upon Belgian Pearls, the design-focused blog by Greet Lefèvre, I knew instantly that I had landed somewhere special. Her carefully chosen images, posted frequently, often contain photographs of her professional projects and home, and her writing style is personal and engaging. Checking frequently to see what Greet had posted next was one of the primary drivers behind my developing interest in the blogosphere. The inspiration I always found there kept me coming back for more, and I was delighted when she agreed to be the subject of the first interview to be published here.
________________


James: Your blog, Belgian Pearls, is full of exquisite images that have captured the attention of some the web's most influential style bloggers and mavens. At time of this writing, you have over 150 followers, and I see link backs, mentions, and blog list entries for Belgian Pearls on many other blogs. When did you start blogging and what inspired you to create Belgian Pearls?


Greet: I started blogging in July this year after I had discovered and read a lot of blogs during the past year. I was so surprised about all these beautiful and inspirational blogs I discovered from around  the world! So all these blogs and bloggers inspired me to start my own blog. A second reason to start Belgian Pearls is the fact that I saw that a lot of bloggers and people and general, are so fascinated about Belgian Design and all things Belgian. So first I started to search other Belgian Design bloggers but I did not found one Belgian Design blog!!! So then, being a Belgian Designer, I was convinced to start my own blog! Question was ‘How introducing my blog into the blogger community?’ One of my favorite, inspirational blogs was Velvet and Linen. I was following this blog since a couple of months. So I contacted Brooke and she introduced me into the blogger world! I am so thankful to Brooke, she really has become a good friend!


J: I think it is clear to anyone who follows your blog that you are passionate about design. When did your interest in design start, and how has it developed over time.


G: Since I was a little girl I have always been surrounded by design, interiors and antiques. My father involved us in any project he was working on and took us along to museums, castles and a lot of exhibitions related to his business. As a child I loved to go in our working places to see our cabinetmakers, real craftsmen, working on a piece of furniture or wood paneling and loved touching the wood and loved the smell of the wood! So I grew up between the wood and the sawdust of the wood. My interest in design has been growing unconsciously during all these years. So my brother and I run our family business for the 4th generation now and I really think that the love of interior design is something you are born with! After I graduated, I joined my father in the company, by assisting in the administration department of the company for the first few years. At the same time I finished my studies as an antiques dealer and on weekends I started working in the antiques shop from a well-known antiques dealer in our region. Together with these studies and the experience I gained in the antiques business , my passion for antiques was growing! In 1998 we started a new showroom of interior design and made-to-measure furniture and this was definitely the start of my career as interior designer.


J: Your company, Lefèvre Interiors, was founded in 1890. Would you describe for us some of the principles or processes you use to help clients realize a vision for their home?


G: As our company exists since 1890, the word “confidence” is one of the most important pillars of our company. So first you have to earn the confidence of your client. The client needs to have the right feeling about you. He has to trust you! And mutual of course! If this feeling is present, you can start to talk with the client and discussing about his needs. So ‘listen very well to the client’s needs’ is the second important pillar of creating a good relationship with your client. I always have in mind that it is the interior of my client and not mine, which we are discussing about. My client and his family has to feel good, comfortable and happy in his home. So the wishes of all the members of that family have to be fulfilled. It is so important to know the way of life of your client. A third important pillar is to discuss about timing of the designing process and to keep your promises about the approach you proposed your client. And finally, maybe the most important pillar, is the delivery of quality! So our company is known for quality designing, quality made-to-measure furniture and wood paneling, so all supply companies with who we work with as wood suppliers, seating companies, painters,… have to deliver the same high-quality. Only if these mentioned principles are present, you can help your client with the vision in their home or room they want you to design. I spend a lot of time in discussing with my client to try to know them better and to put myself in his life world. And I try to learn to discover his taste and desire by showing my clients the interiors we already designed. I always ask them to show me images of what they have in mind or what they really like. Or if they have any furniture or decorative items they are devoted to and they want to keep in their home interior.


J: You have written on your blog that Belgium's antiquarian, art dealer and designer Axel Vervoordt has influenced your work. I also read that you attend the Open House exhibitions every year. Would you share with us some details of this influence and also some of your impressions on visiting the Kasteel 's-Gravenwezel and the shop at Kanaal?


G: At the time I was working at the antiques dealer, I became in contact with a lot of antiquarians and designers. So one of them was Axel Vervoordt! Ever since, every year I go to visit his beautiful castle and the exhibition warehouse Het Kanaal near Antwerp. Axel Vervoordt is a famous designer and known around the world! He is a trendsetter in designing! He always brings new ideas about interior design and how to use antique pieces in the interior! His love for all things of beauty is so huge!!! He is a real master and my big example! And yes, as a lot of other designers, mostly Belgian designers, I am influenced by his work! I love walking in his castle where, from the very first moment you enter it, you feel the authenticity, simplicity and sincerity that all of the rooms, antique furniture and decorative items, radiate.


Even in Het Kanaal, where you can discover his beautiful home collection, you can feel that Axel Vervoordt had been thinking very deeply about the design of this furniture collection. He exactly knows and feels what people expect of for instance, a seat, a coffee table etc. Not only of the designing and the materials but also of the comfort of it. He uses very natural materials, he loves wood and natural fabrics such as linen. In his book “At Home with May and Axel Vervoordt” he wrote that it is his duty to find a better place to all things entrusted to him. So that is also what I try to do when I am searching for antique furniture and decorative items for a client’s home. I try to give the object a place in the home where it “feels lucky”.


Mr and Mrs Vervoordt love to bring in nature into their home by using flowers and branches of their own garden. Not the stylish created bouquets buth a very simple flower or a blossom branch in a vase! Bringing in nature in ones interior is a must, to me. When designing a clients home, I try to remember his principle of full and empty! Axel Vervoordt uses in his book “The Story of a Style” the word “volledig”. It is a Dutch word that means full (vol) and empty (ledig). The two words are in harmony with eachother. In his lifeworld the word means to him :” The plenitude of the emptiness”. Keep the best and get rid of everything except the essential. This is the philosophy on which the life and work of Axel Vervoordt is founded. So also for me it is important to create an interior where my client feels good and where the essential thought is to be happy in that home, to enjoy the pureness of objects and to get rid of all things who are “too much”. I really try to explain to my client to use the entire home, all the rooms of it and not to withdraw in only one place of his home! So it is important to enjoy the library as well as the entrance hall, or the kitchen as the sitting area etc. But therefore all of the rooms have to be in harmony. To reach this harmony, Axel Vervoordt loves to create a room who is “empty” in alternation with a room who is “full”. So you can translate this in a room who is peaceful, a meditation room, in alternation with a room with more objects, furniture. So depending on your state of mind of the moment, you can choose for the room you want to be in at that particular moment.


And one of the most important things I learned from Axel Vervoordt, is to choose for the objects, the designing that you personally like the most! Only then you can feel peaceful and happy. That is why it is of great importance that you know your client very well. There a few rooms in the Castle of ‘s Gravenwezel, who inspired me to create the rooms in my own house. For instance the library room of the caste (PICTURE 1) and the kitchen of the castle (PICTURE 2). I took over a few ideas as you can see here in my own library ( PICTURE 3) as well as in my kitchen. Here I have also chosen to paint the inside of the kitchen niches in a blue colour (PICTURE 4).



PICTURE 1


PICTURE 2


PICTURE 3


PICTURE 4


J: Belgian design seems to be the hottest subject in the design world these days. What do you think of as primary attributes of Belgian design, and why do you think it attracts so many today?


G: Belgian designers are very loyal to their ancestors. They have a lot of respect for their work and try to live and work further in the mind of those. They take over from father to son their skills and 
craftsmanship. That explains why there are a lot of companies in Belgium who are still ran by people of the 3rd, the 4th or even the 5th generation. So there is a treasure of experience among the Belgian craftsmen, designers and architects. Belgian Designers have an enormous respect for their history.


Belgian people in general are known as very hard working people. And they never stand still, they are always looking for innovations and renewal. Their work is their hobby. They deliver high-quality products. Belgian Design is not a” throw-away” design. Our designers love to work with natural, sincere materials. The designing is not “overdone”, it is rather simple and elegant without being ‘cold’. There is a “soul” in the work of our designers and craftsmen. The presence of the soul of our ancestors, I would say. All of this is translated into the Belgian design. Even nature is important in Belgian Design and is translated in the use of wood and natural fabrics. Belgian people love their homes and want to live in their homes and share it with family and friends. A Belgian is a “bon-vivant”, a pleasure lover. The designers have that in mind when creating an interior. Our designers and architects have an open mind, they love to learn, they are eager to learn, they are inquisitive.


J: Where do you find inspiration in your own design work? Do you use your own home as a sort of lab for design ideas?


G: There are a lot of inspiration sources to me. First of all I have a big collection of books , from the ones left from my father to the contemporary ones. I love magazines and reading about design. And I really love to visit castles and museums, studying the antique furniture and interiors, to get inspiration! To me this is one of the most important sources for inspiration. When we go on holidays,, I love to go to see castles, fairs, exhibitions, antiques markets,…in combination with of course the ”lazy” days. And the design fairs and exhibitions are also very important. And in fact , the working places in our company, are the lab for design ideas. There I discuss with my family ( my brother and my husband) together with our craftsmen the vision on a new design or the use of new patines or whatever. Also nature or fashion can be a source of inspiration to me.


J: Do you collect anything, and if so could you tell us something about your personal collections?



G: I am not a real collector of any particular piece of antiques or design. However a few years ago, I started to collect egg cups. I try to bring home an egg cup of every country we visit. I really like the design of it. Books, mostly about interior decoration and antiques, are my passion.


J: You have shared some great insights on Belgium with your readers on Belgian Pearls. If one of your readers was to visit Belgium for the first time, what would tell them to see or do?


G: Here are some of my favorites:


1° Brussels


1. The Atomium : is one of the most important landmarks. It was built for the 1958 Brussels World Fair. Is designed by the architect André Waterkeyn. It is a structure which represents a unit cell of an iron crystal. It was meant to last just for the Expo but its popularity resulted in it being made permanent. In one of the spheres is a restautant which offers you a magnificent view of Brussels.





2. Grote Markt : Central square of Brussels. It is surrounded by guildhalls, the city’s Town Hall and the Breadhouse. It is together with the Atomium the most important landmark in Brussels.





3. Sablon Place : This location is a home to many antiques shops and art galleries.





4. Museum of Art and History : Important collection of art objects from different civilizations from all over the world.



2° Antwerp


1. Grote Markt : Not as big as the Grand Place of Brussels but certainly even beautiful. In the middle of the place stands the Brabo fountain, dated 1887 (refers to the legend of the origin of Antwerp) of the sculptor Jef Lambeaux.





2. Rubenshuis : The former house of our famous painter Pieter Paul Rubens (17th century) is now a museum with a wonderful collection of paintings by Rubens himself and by some of his contemporaries.





3. The Castle of ‘s Gravenwezel : Castle of our famous antiques dealer and designer Axel Vervoordt.





3° Ghent





1. Saint Bavo’s Cathedral : where you can discover the famous painting “The Mystic Lamb” of Hubert and Jan Van Eyck (15th century).





2. S.M.A.K. : Museum of Contemporary Art





4° Bruges




The historic centre of Bruges is a prominent World Heritage Site of UNESCO. Bruges is a canal-based city, and is often called “ The Venice of the North”.



J: Greet, it has been a great pleasure getting to know you this way. Thank you for sharing these insights to your world with us!
_______________


You can visit Greet on her blog Belgian Pearls and her company website Lefèvre Interiors, where you can see many more examples of their cabinetry and furniture (all images below courtesy of http://www.lefevre.be/).














____________________________

Don't forget the contest...
enter for a chance to win "Axel Vervoordt: Timeless Interiors".

12 comments:

  1. Dear James,
    Thank you so much for the chance to this interview! I was so thrilled the moment you asked me to make an interview!
    I hope your readers will like it!

    I am so thankfull!

    Greet

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, this is a very nice interview! Like you, I am so glad that Greet is part of the blogger's world. Because of her background and personal perspective, she has made available a treasure trove of design material. What an amazing world to grow up and live in. Thanks to both you and Greet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as I'm concerned, Greet is THE source for true Belgian design...shows it from every angle, in every context, every iteration. AND she is such a supportive blogger...finds great new blogs and promotes them. Love her. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the first time I saw Greet's blog. I had never seen anything so beautiful. Not only is she incredibly talented, but she is one of the most generous people that I have met through blogging. I am honored to call her a friend and to have her in my life. Thank you James, for doing this fantastic interview and letting more people know about Greet.

    xo
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  5. I very much enjoyed reading this interview and learning more about Greet. Her blog is one of my favorites. The whole concept of "the plenitude of emptiness" was so appealing - maybe something we should focus on more here in the States. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so delighted to read your sweet and nice comments! Thank you so much!

    Greet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you James for interviewing the fabulous Greet. Her blog is full of beauty and interest - a daily must read. Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful interview James...I like many love GReet's blog and look forward to all her posts. Have a happy weekend, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did it very well, Greet. Congratulations !!!
    Your brother Stefaan

    ReplyDelete
  10. James, I am so very pleased to have found you and your blog and I look forward to many future visits.

    When I found Greet and her blog I, like you, was overwhelmed with her talent. I have since become friends with her over the internet and find her to be not only outrageously talented but equally generous and simply one of the most lovely, generous people I've ever had the privilege of calling a friend. Thank you for sharing this interview it and she are marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview James...Greet is one talented woman! Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that was a lovely look into a talented woman's life! Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete