Saturday, December 19, 2009

Tangled Up In Blue Christmas


... is what they should have titled the new Bob Dylan collection of holiday melodies. I consider myself a Dylan fan, so I happily snapped the above iPhone pic of his image on the wall of an alley during a recent trip to Brussels. Discovering his newest music offering on Amazon.com this morning while doing some last minute shopping, I thought 'oh, this might be good' and clicked on the the 'preview all songs' button. After few bars of the first couple of numbers, I was transported, as if by a Dickensian ghost, to a vision of sitting on a barstool in a dark and smoky crosstown joint on Christmas Eve, befriended by a few lonely kooks out of a Charles Bukowski novel, a malfunctioning jukebox rotating this CD all night while a gravely voiced bartender entertains us by alternately coughing up his versions of a duet and blowing Lucky Strike smoke rings. If you should give it a listen, please let me know... do you hear what I hear?


Here's a happy alternative... how about Diana Krall singing 'Jingle Bells' and other holiday standards while sharing champagne and foie gras at home with friends and family... and may Messrs. Dickens and Bukowski, merry gentlemen, rest in peace.



Good Weekend!

image: here

10 comments:

  1. I love Bob Dylan, foie gras and Champagne and can perfectly imagine myself "taking in" all 3, right now. Made to measure post! The last two had been decided upon for the repas de Noel for a while, but the third has just been added to the plan. Thank you for the perfect suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Diana Krall. It's very good. Will have to check out Bob Dylan's. Hope all is well.

    Gwen
    Ragland Hill Social

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the sampling of both. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so hapy you passed by at my blog... as I forgot to ad you to my reader (I only use my reader to make my way to the other weblogs) So I did some catching up at your blog ;)

    Great picture of Bob it should look good on a concrete wall.. me personelly really love the posters of BRMC (a band from San Francisco)
    Have a good sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy!!!!

    James, I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!
    And thank you so much for the interview!!

    xx
    Greet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonjour James,
    I'll take the champagne, might have to pass on the foie gras. Never could choke that stuff down.
    I'll bet Christmas is lovely at Garvinweasel complete with Yorkshire pudding.
    I hope you and your family have a wonderful, beautiful Christmas and all the best in 2010!
    Bisou

    PS. I have been enjoying your music at FastFM
    Merci

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to find an old, moody joint that serves champagne and foie gras... The image of your place almost makes me want to take up smoking again!...almost

    Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your comments and have a very Merry Christmas!

    Terri, the best old, moody joint that serves champagne and foie gras would be Rosebud, a favorite hang-out when I lived on nearby rue du Cherche-Midi. Tell 'em James sent you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Holiday Music Contribution:
    Sting's "If On A Winter's Night".

    Have a great Holiday. I look forward to more interesting postings in the New Year 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liz, I downloaded this Sting cd today and agree, the perfect soundtrack for the holidays. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete