Monday, December 14, 2009

Patina



"Monuments are anchors in time. Epochs pass, weather erodes, people lose interest. This cannot be helped. But patina itself is worth appreciating. Patina is the value that age puts on an object. It’s what makes an antique antique. It is experience, maturity, the soft sheen of time. Patina wasn’t present at the spanking-new creation. It comes from a life lived."
- John Yemma, editor of the Christian Science Monitor, in his "open source" column for November 22, 2009, "On Thanksgiving: the memorial that time forgot"
______________
I need to install a gate soon, across the drive entrance, in conjunction with the installation of 2000+ feet of underground electric fence for the dogs. Garvinweasel sits on about four acres, but the dogs can disappear for hours, exploring hundreds of acres of an adjoining pastures and forests, returning with barbed-wire scratches, deer legs (they love these) and other assorted artifacts from their adventures. Every day I worry that they may not all make it back in one piece, so I ordered the underground fence wire, training flags, transformers (one backup) and six collars... all still in the box waiting on me to find a spare weekend or two. These fences have a special, twisted wire that don't send a signal to the collars, made for secured pass-through areas, like the driveway gate. All that to say I have been browsing gates on the web. Tonight I came across this jewel, and wanted to share it with you.

Gate image: here  Quote: here

8 comments:

  1. Jewel of a gate indeed. The sister of my parents'gate in the South of France; must be French. My sister just had it repainted dark green; it had been a flat weathered gray...the memories were eraced with one paint brush stroke; sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James,

    Love the gate, it's beautiful. Wish I had one just like it. I forgot to tell you I have clients who have a beautiful farm with 1850 Greek Revival home. It's off Hwy 18 on West Fork Rd. I guess that is considered Grand Junction, maybe LaGrange. I've been there a zillion times but don't know the exact address. It's so beautiful out there.

    Talk soon.

    Gwen
    Ragland Hill Social

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quote on patina. I often use 'patina' to describe my own personal look.

    The gate is absolutely fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful gate indeed and good for the dogs to have boundaries. Worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gate is beautiful, James.
    I'm currently also in the process of finding "the right one" for our property but so far, I haven't made up my mind yet. I'm not sure whether I will be able to find an antique version to fit the space or have to design a custom gate.
    Hope you will share some pictures ones your fence and gate are installed.
    And thanks a lot for the link to the organic dress - breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patina is what gives spirit to an object !!!
    I love when pieces have patina

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would just lean that gorgeous gate up against a wall...gorgeous. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's gorgeous! So wonderful to think ahead of time for both your dogs and your home...beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete