Sunday, September 7, 2008

Fake Plastic Trees


A green plastic watering can
for a fake chinese rubber plant
in fake plastic earth...
Fake Plastic Trees, by Radiohead, from the album The Bends, 1995

 I came home this week with a load of laminate fake wood floor plank samples. Although the entry hall, small hall and dining room all have the original heart pine floors, the rest of the floors at Garvinweasel remind me of this mess we're in.

 Two rooms across the back of the original house were created from a porch, with the floor built at an angle to encourage water runoff. The conversion left the angle, creating rooms that felt like a carnival funhouse. Resisting the urge the install distortion mirrors and flashing lights, I decided instead to level the floors. My framing carpenter fabricated counter-angled mini-joists over the angled floor and attached an OSB subfloor, which has been begging for covering now for way too long.

 I also brought home some wide plank pine boards. I thought I could paint, stain or lime these, maybe different treatments for different rooms or sections of the house. I looked at poplar planks and thought they looked like Axel Vervoordt's style, my favorite. I did some google research on poplar and first found that it is rated too soft for floor use. Then I saw Axel Vervoordt's Venice apartment on Topsy Turvy Style, and read that he used poplar wide plank floors in the living room. I also found a source for reclaimed wood floors that stocks poplar, and another source for 'hardened, distressed' poplar flooring, so it's definitely under consideration. The fake plastic boards, however, are not.

2 comments:

  1. Bonjour James XVI,
    Merci for visiting my blog and your kind comments.
    I love your line about blogging being an online cocktail! I even get a buz sometimes!
    It will be interesting following along with you and your updates. I live in an old house too, for 25 yrs. now and it still is not finished. Oh well, it's the journey that counts ;)
    I'll add you to my blogroll too!
    Merci and have a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Very creative!That's actually really cool.
    謝謝你的文章分享,請你有空到我

    參觀,Thanks

    ReplyDelete